Happy to Train

| Posted in , , | Posted on 6:09 PM

Ginny Eaton
June 28, 2010



I am not sure why, but it takes me forever to get myself together and motivated to go work out. For some reason I dread doing it, even though when I am doing it (except maybe the running) and after I feel great!  You’d think after awhile I would make the connection between feeling great and motivating myself to work out, but nope.  To some degree I am almost glad I have to set my temporary basal an hour and a half before I exercise, since then I have to do it.

I did the Danskin about two weekends ago, and finished!  So I was happy about that, though a bit frustrated with how I handled the mental aspect of the race.  Pre-race I had my temp basal set at what I always do for workouts, and for some reason let my paranoia of a low blood sugar get the best of me, and reduced it farther.  So I ended up with high blood sugars through the race, which made me feel like I was just powering through the race, rather than doing my best.  But, lesson learned, I realized part way through the race that I need to commit to my blood sugar control successes from training and not let my race anxiety get the best of me.

Today was my first day in about two weeks, not including a small run, that I have continued my triathlon training.  I decided a bike ride would be the best, since it is one of my favorites.  So before, I set my temp basal rate, and waited about an hour for that.   I mentioned to a roommate that I was not looking forward to working out, and funnily she was the one that said, you always are happy that you did!  It amazes me how a little motivation can get me going.  So I set out for a ride, was thinking 12 miles, with some high cadence that was part of the workout, and keeping my mph up higher than normal.  I got started, and ugh the warm up is the worst!  I am so tired and slow feeling, but around 2.5 miles start feeling great, and re-motivated to push.  About 5 miles into the ride I saw to red-tailed hawks kettling above me at the intersection I was waiting at.  I love this part about riding, the fact you can hear everything around you.  I’ve seen and heard so many different species of birds riding through central Texas, it’s my favorite part of the rides.  Ultimately I ended up riding about 21 miles total, drenched in sweat (so hot here!) but felt great.  Like my friend said, I was happy I did it and glad to start back up again with training.

Comments (0)